Is Jordan Stall the center Kovy's been needing?
Here are some pros:
- Pens current depth chart @center:
1) Sidney Crosby
2) Evgeni Malkin
3) Jordan Stall
Not sure Jord would be getting top-line minutes anytime soon. He'd probably like to be playing more, I would think.
- Speed, strength, and some pretty good ice-vision. Maybe not Crosby-esque, but better than we've had.
- UFA after this year. Could be in the $4-5 mil/yr range, according to Leahy.
- Defensive ability might cover for some of Kovy's... um... indiscretions...
- Still a youngun. Locking him up for 4-5 years wouldn't be much of a risk.
- Uh, did you SEE the Pens-Wings game?
And there are some downsides:
- It doesn't really sound like he wants to leave:
"I have a lot of great friends here. It's a great fit for me. It's a team I want to be part of. We're young and we want to grow together."Not really the talk of someone itching to leave town.
- Draft pick compensation would be high. A 1st, 2nd & 3rd rounder, if Leahy's estimate is correct. Some might see that as giving away the future
- Is Staal what he appears? Or is this merely a hot streak?
- Let's face it, Atlanta isn't exactly a free-agent magnet, as Dan Boyle was nice enough to point out.