Monday, March 2, 2009

Miscellany

Putting Things Right. VERY inexcusably belated props to Here Come The Bruins for the recognition of the Thrashers' blogosphere. Big huge thanks.

Caption Contest. The crew @ Barry Melrose Rocks has a caption contest featuring our very own Eric Boulton. Go compete.

Good Numbers. Just doing a little statistical analysis (something I promised myself I'd do better with), and decided to examine Kovy's performance both before & after being awarded the 'C'


W L G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG GTG GWG SOG S% P/G
Before 14 29 16 27 43 -13 31 5 0 0 2 137 11.68% 1
After 9 11 18 10 28 3 6 5 0 1 2 80 22.50% 1.4


I knew Kovy was playing well, but not goal-doubling well. And, yes, the argument of sample size is valid (43 games before, only 20 after). But you can say with surety: Kovy's playing like Kovy should play. But that brings me to my next point...

Where the crap has this team been hiding? Y'know... the team that may not win, but leaves it out on the ice a lot more than it used too. I'm sure you've all read the latest monologue from Jeff "I used to be a fan" Schultz. My issue is not with Jeff, though he should be taken to task for not making this point clearer in his season-long "throw the team under the bus" bit. My point is stated nicely by long-time commenter named GaVaHokie (solid commenter, btw):
I’ve always blamed the players… I think they could’ve played like this all year… there’s nothing wrong with this team but effort… if they gave this effort all year, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Nobody seems to play like they care until their job is on the line, or they’re trying to look good for a trade… look how Schneider is doing in Montreal now.

I don't know about the "not having this conversation right now" thing (we would've won about 5 more games, I believe), but the situation wouldn't seem nearly as dire. There has been a rotating list of players who've needed a fit lit under 'em, and it's only been recently that everyone's been on (anything close to resembling) the same page. I fully support the protest, the root of this issue is the ownership group that has taken buffoonery to a level unreachable by mortal men - but why are these players just now "gelling"?

Attention Canadiocentric Hockey Media: Kovy likes it here - SHUT UP and live with it.

From Puck Daddy:
Let's get back to talking about Atlanta. What is keeping you in the city apart from the contract? Would you live through a move with difficulties?

"I never thought about it. I like everything in Atlanta. The organization treats me very well. My daughter is in kindergarten. She has also started doing athletics. Nicole settled well: she became busy, got new friends. We expect an addition to our family..."

And then from Sovetsky Sport:

Q: General manager of Atlanta Don Waddell gave a guarantee that he would not trade you. Do you believe him? Do you sleep well at night?

A: I always sleep well. But trades - that is business. If it happens, it happens. But I wouldn't be happy to leave Atlanta.

Q: But if tomorrow you were to wake up and find out that they had traded you to Washington, would that be a good or a bad dream?

A: It would be a provocative dream. I like everything in Atlanta. I have played here since the first day of my career. I very much hope that we will build a respectable strong team. The city is wonderful, the fans are great. We must play significantly better.
So, guys, go ahead and make up some more crap about how Kovy desperately wants out of Atlanta.

Oh, and the always fabulous ladies of Puck Huffers are discovering what we knew all along. (Careful, that link might not be suitable for... well, anyone anywhere. But you just may become addicted to their wonderful, warped view of things.)


Off-topic. Anyone else remember this Kids In The Hall bit?


Good times.

No comments: